The Almshouses and St Mary's Church

We carried out opening up and restoration works to the 10th century porch of St Mary’s Church and following on from this project, commenced a major refurbishment project to the adjacent Reading Almshouses. Founded by John Leche to help the elderly poor people of the town, the present Almshouses were built when the original ones on the site of St Mary’s Butts were demolished in 1886.
The refurbishment works included totally stripping back the roofs and carrying out structural repairs to the timbers, upgrading the insulation, before re-roofing.  We saved as many of the original tiles as possible to re-use on the rear slopes. New handmade tiles for the front slopes were matched closely with the originals and purpose made ornate ridges and fittings were commissioned, to retain the original appearance. We repointed the brick and stonework using lime mortar, built new parking areas and decorated internally and externally.